First Day Living in Osaka, Japan (June 19, 2016)

Because of the jet lag, I didn’t sleep well last night.  I went to bed around 10:30 PM but woke up around 2:00 AM. I tried to go back to sleep but couldn’t.  I finally got out of bed around 6:00 AM.   It was a rainy day.  I had breakfast and coffee at the Prak Roast Coffee which was not too far from the hotel I stayed at (Hotel Unizo).  I took two bags with me and went to my new apartment to meet with a consultant from Relo at 1:00 PM.  The consultant was very nice and very helpful.  She showed me the apartment including how to operate everything in the apartment where the instructions are all written in Japanese.  I was able to practice the intercom with a delivery person from Nitori who came to deliver my futon.  

After the orientation, we went to the Muji store and Yodobashi Camera in Umeda.  I wanted to buy curtans at Muji for the apartment but I didn’t know the length of the windows, so I couldn’t buy them.  At Yodobashi Camera, I bought a washer/dryer combo.  I wanted to buy two separate machines – one as a washer and another one as a dryer – but they won’t fit in my apartment, so I bought a combo machine made by Panasonic.  The design is nice and simple.  It’s called Cube.  I also bought a medium-size refrigerator made by Mitsubishi and a fan (cool/heat/air cleaner) from Dyson.  I was so tired by the time we were done buying the fan.  We ran out of time because I had to to go dinner with a few people from work.  A good thing about Yodobashi Camera is that you earn points (8% back) and you can use those points immediately after you have earned them.  I was able to use points I earned from buying the washer/dryer when buying the refrigerator.  The bad thing was everything had to be written in Japanese on the delivery slip.  I couldn’t have done this myself.  They will deliver everything on Saturday, July 2nd. 

For dinner, I met with a few people from work for my welcome party.  It was very nice of them to meet me. 

After dinner, I got the other two bags from the hotel and took them to my apartment.  So, I have officially moved in to my apartment.  There was nothing in the apartment but the futon, 4 bags and me.  

First night in the apartment